2019-20 Student Scholarships for Japan’s Sister Cities to Cairns.
Nicholas Wilhelm von Dietze from St Andrew’s Catholic College who goes to Oyama City in Tochigi Prefecture
Zachary Luke Downey from St Augustine’s College who goes to Minami Town Tokushima Prefecture
During the December School Holidays of 2019-2020, the Australia-Japan Society FNQ will again sponsor two students from a Cairns School, to live as Home-stay and study within a Japanese Junior High School for a 4 week period.
Year 9 / 10 / 11 students are encouraged to apply for the scholarship and be in Japan during December 2019 and January 2020.
The AJS with this Scholarship are building further stronger relationships with the Cairns Sister Cities in both Oyama City and Minami Town.
- Applicants for this program must be current financial family members of the Australia-Japan Society FNQ. (membership form below)
- School within the Cairns Region and attending to Year 9.10 or 11.
- Applicants must have valid passport for travelling overseas.
- The students must be studying Japanese language and have maintained sound grades in all general subjects for the last school term.
- Applications OPEN on the 1st July 2019 and CLOSE 16th August 2019. AJS FNQ will not accept any applications which arrive after 16th August 2019 (Application: Typed or computer generated. If students fail to prepare the complete set of documents, the student will automatically be eliminated as a candidate.)
- The First stage of selection from the applications will be announced Sunday 1st September 2019
- Second stage of selection is personal interviews and will be conducted on a Sunday afternoon 8th September 2019. Students and parents must be available for this process as part of the application. Unfortunately, if a student cannot be available for this process, the student will automatically be eliminated as a candidate.
- The two successful students will be announced mid September and should expect to visit either Oyama City or Minami Town, Japan later in December.
The AJS Scholarship Package would include: Value approx AUS $5,000
- Return International flights to Japan, meals included
- Arrival Meet & Greet at Japan Narita and Osaka Airports
- Transport & guide from Japan Airports to / from final destinations
- 1 hour AJS FNQ Trip Orientation in Cairns before departure
- Orientation in Japan with council representatives after arrival to the destination
- 1 or 2 night’s Hotel Accommodation before or after home stay arrangements.
- Homestay Japan Accommodation for 4 to 5 weeks (Possible multiple families)
- One-on-one support, assistance and guidance by Japanese Council Representatives / Student Counselor, Assistant Language Teacher (ALT), Coordinator of International relations (CIR) and the Board of Education.
- Official welcome and meeting with the Mayor of the Japanese Sister City at the Council offices.
- Provisions of School lunch for education period of the program.
- (Most years the Japanese schools have been able to loan a local school uniform)
- Various unique Japanese cultural / sporting / music experiences as arranged by host families and the local Council and representatives.
Please note – As a family contribution and fee to this unique opportunity, the AJS FNQ will require a fee of $600.00 per successful student to be paid prior to 1st December.
Some items not included / Not limited to: Passport applications and associated costs, the student health, travel and medical insurances, student spending money, general winter clothing, and any personal items.
Students should complete the application form available for download below.
If you have problems getting the application form then please email firstname.lastname@example.org