Welcome to the Australia Japan Society
Far North Queensland
About the Society
The Australia Japan Society of FNQ Inc., located in Cairns Far North Queensland, is a non political, non profit organisation and has the following objectives:
- to offer interesting and informative Japan related activities to our members and general public of Cairns.
- to advise, and be a point of contact for similar Japan based groups or individuals interested in Cairns, and vice versa to advise, and be a point of contact for local members who wish to travel to Japan.
- To promote educational exchange between Australia and Japan.
- To encourage interest in Australia by Japanese people.
- To provide opportunities and facilities for contact between Australians and Japanese to exist.
- To cooperate with other organisations in Australia and Japan with similar objectives.
The AJS FNQ was formed as a volunteer, not for profit group in November 1981 by a committed group of Cairns business people, with a passion for Japan and people.
Today a similar group have the same passion. Come join us.
Benefits of membership include:
A quarterly newsletter is distributed to members, business houses and schools, providing both information and advertising.
The Society’s website contains up-to-date information on both local and Japan-based happenings, and access to the latest Japanese news.
Business luncheons are held regularly with a diverse range of high-calibre speakers from different backgrounds and industry sectors.
The annual golf tournament and dinner, held during Japan Week( June) each year, have become a notable feature on Cairns’ annual social calendar. Other social functions are held on a monthly basis, including informal drinks evenings, family picnics and movie nights.
The wide range of businesses involved in the AJS offers the opportunity to expand contacts -both locally and throughout Australia and Japan.
Advice and Assistance
Assistance is offered to companies and individuals seeking information on Japan and/ or Japanese business and culture.
Referrals can be made for interpreting and translating services.
Minami, Japan (formerly Hiwasa) – since 1969
Reciprocal visits between students and the community continue, due largely to the contribution of the Australian Japan Society FNQ.
To mark the 45th anniversary of the agreement in 2014, the Mayor of Minami, Kageji Nobuyoshi, visited Cairns and attended the National Sister Cities Day celebrations.
>> view more